Mad Castle Games Week 9  







The week before Alpha. Oh joy. Bring on the coffee.






What I did this week:
  • Textured the soda fountain
    • I actually struggled UVing this model. I have never had to texture a multi-piece object before. It took me some trial and error. In the end I re-did the UV's of the entire mesh 4 times.

  • Made a wrapping paper texture for Kyle












  • Textured the antagonist character...again. The antagonist model had to be UV'd for a second time to fix and issue with the original mesh so my previous work had to be scrapped. 



  •  Created an animated material for the antagonist character to make it appear as if his body is made of smoke.
    • This is achieved using a smokey texture on the opacity node with two lerped panners for variability. To keep the texture from  just being the swirling smoke and losing definition I placed a black version of the antagonist texture on the emission node. This keeps the structure of the mesh and the texture visible through the swirling opacity smoke. 
      • in game the antagonist is supposed to have a smoky particle effect emitting form the skeleton as well. 
  • Sadly some decals I made to be placed around the levels during this week were scrapped because of an issue with our shader. The shader was washing out the decals colors to almost grey scale in every case. 
    • Adding a normal map to the decals did seem to help but even with that they were too light to be noticed or used especially in our darker levels.
      • Here are some of the graffiti decals for example. 
      • Not shown are environmental textures like rust, and water damage
  •  Made adjustments so some textures throughout the week. Handled small issues and also re-did our button so that it looks less like a land mine (my bad)


What I did at 2 am Sunday morning:

 Some how a logo for the game, menu screen ,and UI buttons slipped through the cracks of our design schedule. . .  I received a message over slack some time around 1am from our art lead asking me if I could try to come up with something by 5 am (just in time for our final alpha build). Through the power of music and instant coffee I got this much done in time.



Logo, menu, menu screen, and UI will be updated for our RTM build.

No comments:

Post a Comment